Are you considering the start of an inner-city youth lacrosse program? Are you already part of an effort that reaches out to children in your community who may not otherwise have opportunities to play lacrosse or other sports?
In 2008, the US Lacrosse Board of Directors approved the launch of the program, Emerging Groups, in order to allow US Lacrosse to better serve groups in inner-city or underserved communities. This program provides those groups with financial and resource assistance to build and sustain a lacrosse program.
Timeline for Applications
The application deadline is normally in September. Groups selected into program are usually notified in early December.
Benefits of Becoming an Emerging Group:
• Discounted US Lacrosse membership for players
(includes insurance coverage and Lacrosse Magazine)
• Equipment Grant; 4 package choices – restrictions apply
• Discounted access to Coaches Education Program Level 1 and 2 online courses and clinics; additional discounts on CEP educational DVD’s and resource materials
• NCSI Background checks for coaches/administrators
• PCA online training
• Affiliation with USL is valid for one year from time of selection
• If selected, group will be asked to produce sufficient information about the progress, growth and success of their program throughout the year.
• USL Emerging Groups will have the opportunity to continue their affiliation with USL following their first year for other support, and the opportunity to apply for BRIDGE affiliation.
If your program has been active for over a year and you are interested in further affiliation with US Lacrosse, then please apply for the USL BRIDGE Program.
► Click here to learn more.
• Navy's Dominique Wright is a Fast Learner at Lacrosse (The Washington Post)
• Jersey City Lacrosse Exposes Urban Kids to Sport (NJ.com)
• Charlotte Lacrosse Program Reaches Inner City (Charlotte Post)
• Lacrosse Doesn't Discriminate (iJax.com)
• Diversifying Lacrosse Still Work in Progress (ESPN.com)
• LEAPS Lax Continues to Grow (Phillylacrosse.com)
• Lacrosse Becoming More Popular in Philadelphia (Daily News)
• Planting the Seeds of Lacrosse in Newark (NY Times)
• Christmas, LEAPS Bring Lax to Inner City (NBC Philadelphia)
For more information on this exciting new program, please contact the US Lacrosse Sport Development Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing about how we can help.