The Board of US Lacrosse established the Sports Science & Safety Committee to function as an advisory group to the leadership and to the various committees of US Lacrosse, as well as to serve as a source of lacrosse sport safety education for the entire lacrosse community.
Formed in 1999, the US Lacrosse Sports Science and Safety Committee takes a closer look at injury prevention and sports medicine issues involved with the game of lacrosse. Utilizing existing sports medicine literature and new research initiatives, the committee seeks to grow the body of lacrosse safety knowledge in order to objectively advise US Lacrosse and the lacrosse community on factors that may enhance the safety and quality of experience in the sport of lacrosse at all levels.
The committee meets twice a year, and members also offer their expertise as presenters at the annual US Lacrosse National Convention in January. Position Statements crafted by the committee reflect the national governing body's stand on important lacrosse safety issues.
The Sports Science & Safety Committee is further divided into six subcommittees:
- Player Development and Clinical
- Injury Surveillance
- Injury Prevention
- Advisory Councils
Experts on the committee are:
- Bio-Mechanical Engineering: Trey Crisco, Ph.D (Providence, R.I.)
- Neuropsychology and Neurology: Ruben Echemendia, Ph.D (State College, Pa.); Amiel Bethel, MD (Baltimore, Md.)
- Nutrition and Sports Performance: Jackie Berning, Ph.D (Colorado Springs, Colo.); Dave Klossner, Ph.D (Laurel, Md.)
- Orthopaedics and Cardiology: Richard Hinton, MD (Baltimore, Md.); Jeffrey Mandak, MD (Enola, Pa.)
- Pediatrics: Paige Perriello, MD (Charlottesville, Va.)
- Psychology: Richard Ginsburg, Ph.D (Boston, Mass.)
- Sports Medicine: Margot Putukian, MD (chair) (Princeton, N.J.); Douglas McKeag, MD (Portland, Ore.); George O'Neil, ATC (Princeton, N.J.); Laura Darby McNally, ATC (Concord, Mass.)
- Sports Research and Epidemiology: Andy Lincoln, Sc.D (Annapolis, Md.); Shane Caswell, Ph.D (Fairfax, Va.); Randy Dick, MS (Indianapolis, Ind.)
In the News and Noteworthy: