The First Stick Program is the ultimate grassroots initiative for new and developing youth (U19 and below) lacrosse teams nationwide.
The First Stick Program is designed to deliver comprehensive US Lacrosse developmental and safety resources, equipment, US Lacrosse membership and coach training to awarded teams. The ultimate goal of each two-year partnership is to develop self-sustaining youth lacrosse programs that operate by US Lacrosse national standards and best practices.
The First Stick program seeks to expand participation beyond traditional boundaries and inspire kids to play hard, dream big and act responsibility within the sport of lacrosse and the game of life.
The heart of the First Stick Program lies in the belief that a child's first lacrosse stick not only serves as a means to play the sport, but is a symbol of the life-enhancing values such as confidence, teamwork, sportsmanship and leadership that can be developed through lacrosse. Read more about the history of the program.
First Stick Program - 2015 Grant Timeline
- March 15 - Grant application is available online
- June 1 - Deadline for submitting completed application
- August 1 - Notification letters sent to all grant applicants
Request More Info Frequently Asked Questions
Goals of the First Stick Program
- Assist team organizers in developing boys' and girls' teams at the youth and high school level in their communities.
- Break down barriers to participation by providing free and/or discounted resources.
- Create self-sustaining lacrosse programs that operate under US Lacrosse national standards and best practices.
The Benefits of the First Stick Program
- US Lacrosse discounted membership for 1 coach and 24 players (includes insurance coverage and a subscription to Lacrosse Magazine)
- Equipment assistance (Boys or Girls packages for up to 24 field players and 1 goalie)
- Access to the US Lacrosse Coaching Education Program, including Level 1 certification, NCSI background screening for coaches, and continuing education opportunities.
- US Lacrosse National Convention registration for one coach.
- Additional developmental resources to assist with team organization and structure.
Review the Year-by-Year Benefits Grid
Affiliation with US Lacrosse through the First Stick Program is for a period of two years. Programs will have the opportunity to continue their affiliation with US Lacrosse following the second year as part of the Gold Stick Program.
First Stick Program Supporters
The First Stick Program is a US Lacrosse initiative supported by many of the leading manufacturers, distributors and retailers of lacrosse equipment.