Teammates on Kelly
The definition of a true midfielder…extremely fit and extremely fast…consistent on both ends of the field…really helps in transition game…has gotten better and better every year…so fierce…her commitment to training and preparation is inspiring.
- Gold medalist at 2013 FIL World Cup in Oshawa, Ontario
- Scored eight goals and added three assists in seven games
- 2008 Prague Cup Touring Team
- U.S. National Team (2006-08, 2009-13)
- U.S. Developmental Team (2005-06, 2008-09)
- IWLCA/US Lacrosse All-America first team (2006), third team (2007)
- CAA Player of the Year, CAA Tournament MVP (2006)
- All-CAA first team (2005-07)
- Finished college career as James Madison's second all-time leading scorer with 262 points (184 g, 78 a)
- Aimee Willard Award for top collegiate player at US Lacrosse Women's Division National Tournament (2005)
- Led Dukes in goals, assists and points in 2005, 2006 and 2007 seasons
|Year ||GP-GS ||G ||A ||PTS ||GB ||DC ||CT |
|2007 ||18-17 ||48 ||24 ||72 ||22 ||27 ||16 |
|2006 ||20-20 ||59 ||34 ||93 ||50 ||16 ||28 |
|2005 ||16-15 ||41 ||16 ||57 ||40 ||12 ||23 |
|2004 ||19-15 ||36 ||4 ||40 ||37 ||12 ||6 |
|Total ||73-67 ||184 ||78 ||262 ||149 ||67 ||73 |
Getting to Know
- Nickname: Bergs
- Twitter: @KellyBerger
- Other sports played in high school: Soccer, basketball, and dance
- Favorite lacrosse player: That’s a tie for Paul Rabil and Stephen Berger
- Favorite athlete from another sport: Ray Lewis
- Best advice received from a coach: Simply: “Outwork everyone.”
- Strengths as a player: Speed, athleticism, and aggression.
- What should every player at your position be able to do on the field: In the midfield there is a lot of running, so the first thing you have to keep up along with your stick work is staying fit. You have to be able to react at a quick speed and you cannot dwell on any play to look, because you are expected to turn that switch again and help with the next play.
- Game-day ritual: I wear the same t-shirt the night before the game to bed!
- Tip for young players: Keep the stick in your hands but be sure to continue to enjoy other sports and gain experience through other sports.
- Best lacrosse moment: Winning the CAA Championship at JMU my freshmen year. A come from behind win that I truly believe never could have happened without every one of us doing our part.
- Fun fact: I almost decided to play basketball in college.