Basic, Can be progressed
The objective of this drill is to get players in the habit of scooping through the ball, picking up groundballs under pressure, and passing the ball immediately after picking it up.
All team players can participate in this drill simultaneously, but there should be no more than 8-10 players in each line.
- Set two lines of players facing each other about 25-30 yards apart with a coach in-between the two.
- On a coach’s whistle, the first player in one line should pick up a ball and begin to run towards the opposite line. As he is scooping the ball, the coach should make a light check (token defense/dummy defense) on him.
- After he successfully picks up the ball, he should immediately pass it to first person in the opposite line. This player throws it right back to him, and he then drops the ball at his feet, and runs to the end of that line.
- The first player in the second line then picks up the groundball, runs through a light check from the coach, and throws the ball to the first player in the opposite line, and the pattern repeats itself.
- Scooping under pressure
- Passing immediately after scooping
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
- This drill can – and should – be practiced using both hands.