Basic, Can be progressed
This objective of this drill is to create pressure as passes are made and to teach players to break into transition.
- This drill involves four midfielders, two attackmen, two defensemen and a goalie
- Offense has the ball in the box and must make four passes against shutoff pressure.
- Once four passes have been completed, the offense may press for a score as the defense drops into a soft man to man coverage.
- With each shot, goal, or turnover, the defense will look to clear the ball.
- Once the ball is cleared, the offense becomes the defense and the defense becomes the offense.
- This forces long poles to be involved in the transition game, and forces attackmen to work on their defense (riding) skills
- With any loose ball or change of possession, four passes must be completed.
- Passing and catching under pressure
- Ability to get open under pressure
- Ball handling and awareness in small space
- Awareness in transition situations
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
- Have your teams practice this with extra man on offense or defense. Use 4v3 or 3v4 to add or remove pressure.