Man Down Defense
Basic, Can be progressed
This objective of this game is to help teach Man Down Defensive positioning and rotation.
Description of Drill-Execution
- Set up 5 cones in a circle, approximately 7yds apart from each other.
- Start with 5 offensive players at those cones. 3 defensive players set up in the middle of the circle.
- One offensive player has a ball to start. As the ball moves, one defender must approach and communicate “BALL.” Defensive players on the left and right of the on ball defender assume “man-you-ball” position, and verbalize “NEXT.”
- Continue the rotation of the ball, ensuring each defensive player is rotating and communicating properly.
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
- Defense can only play the ball once – forcing the defense to learn how to rotate
- Offense passes only one direction
- Offense can pass either direction
- Offense attempts skip passes
- Add goal with goalie
- After desired number of passes, offense may shoot
- Offensive players may move and/or exchange spots/cut
- Run 6 v. 4, 6 v. 5
The game can be played with or without sticks. Try using a mini soccer ball or football to focus on movement and positioning without the worry of dropping passes.
Introduce space and time constraints to progress or regress the game and to control the pace of the learning. Keep score and/or play to a desired to promote competition.