Basic, Can be progressed
This ground ball drill provides high repetitions, reinforces scooping under pressure, accelerating through the ball to avoid being checked by a chaser, and quickly passing to a teammate.
The player scooping the ball must remember to accelerate through the scoop to avoid being checked, bringing the stick to the face and cradling after the scoop, just like in a game.
- Player 1 is 5 yards ahead of Player 2. Coach is even with Player 2.
- Coach rolls ball out to Player 1 who runs to scoop the ball, Player 2 chases Player 1.
- Player 1 must scoop, turn correctly, and make an accurate pass to the Coach.
- Player 2 tries to poke or better yet, lift the bottom hand of Player 1 to disrupt his scoop.
- Scooping under pressure, protecting the ball, turning in the correct direction
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
- Close the distance between the players so that Player 2 is more likely to get a check on Player 1.
- Switch to the other side so players must scoop left-handed