Riding long poles to the alley and forcing long passes or turnover opportunities in transition.
Description of Drill-Execution
This drill teaches attackmen to utilize the sideline. Two lines of defense; two lines of attack.
- Goalie in goal. Extra attack behind goal
- Two attackmen position themselves four to five yards above crease, slightly wider than the crease.
- Defense lines are positioned at the goal line extended.
- Coach shoots ball at goalie who saves and passes the ball to either side defenseman.
- As pass is made, defender receives the ball and tries to beat riding up sideline.
- Attack must use sideline
- Do not go behind defender
- Do not over commit
- Do not give defender inside
- Defense must stay within alley formed by sideline.
- Goalie should randomly alternate sides for his outlet pass.
- Defensive Position
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
Add both the defenders at the same time and allow the poles to throw the long pass over the heads of the attack players. This is a great way to show a trap or an adjusting ride with attack players.