Offense, Defense, Midfield
Warm Up, Skills
Improve the player’s ability to move the ball, while avoiding contact with the other players. The drill will work basic stick skills and can be done with ground ball pickups or passing and catching.
Description of Drill-Execution
- 5 lines in a star shape, can be around goal, 30 yards apart diagonally, movement both clockwise and counter clockwise.
- Start with one ground ball then progress to multiple balls and then passing.
- Pass ball to player two lines away from you on the star(#1 pass to #3, #3 pass to #5, #5 pass to #2, #2 pass to #4).
- Constant motion, multiple balls, lots of communication, know who is giving you the ball and who you will give it to in advance of getting the ball, focus while in line.
- 4 balls seems to be max for simultaneous motion.
- Each line of players should have no less than 2 individuals per line but 3-4 is better. Use player’s name, offer help.
- Ball Movement (Catching and Throwing)
- Maintaining Possession
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
Add a stopwatch to time how long your players can go without a dropped pass. Add cones around the players jogging paths to add agility practice. Make the players avoid obstacles in addition to other players.