Offense, Defense, Midfield
Improving clearing the ball and running the field are the main points of this drill. Transition play requires ball movement and vision. This drill allows players to move the ball down the field and then drop back in a ride to cover the breaks and improve field sense and vision.
Description of Drill-Execution
Middies # 1,2,3, from behind the right end goal attack the left end goal as a 3 v 2.
- The last of these three middies to touch the ball is out and rejoins the lines for his team behind the far goal where he originated.
- The other two middies drop back to the far right goal & become D#6 and D#7 in a 3 v 2.
- Three new players break from behind the left goal & attack the far right goal in a 3 v 2.
- After Playing Def in the 3 v 2 players rejoin the lines behind the goal they just defended.
- All players play every position in this drill. Long sticks become attackers, attack play defense etc…
- Ball Movement (Catching and Throwing)
- Transition Offense
- Transition Defense
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
To vary the drill you may add an extra player at the box area that will run on the field during clears and give the goalie a long outlet pass. The defensive players dropping back to cover will have to work on getting back and trailing the play.