Offense, Defense, Midfield
Work a full field clear into a 5 v 4 fast break. The drill works to push an overload on one side in a 5 v4 setting. It will also get your players running the field and using field vision to make the right play based on where the defensive midfield goes and reacts.
Description of Drill-Execution
- Ball starts at right end line, M1, M3 release from lines and clear the ball.
- Defensive Middie #1 releases from midline and can jump the ball or drop in.
- If he jumps, attack 4 v 3 with quick pass to M3, top ball side attack(A1) must drop into hole and A3 must balance set.
- If DM drops in, create a 3 v 2 local overload on one side.(avoid 5 on a die offensive set)
- After play finished, reverse direction and release M5 and M6 from behind left goal and repeat drill going opposite direction, blue DM#2 releases and chooses.
- Ball Movement (Catching and Throwing)
- Transition Offense
- Transition Defense
- Fast Break
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
To vary the drill you may want add more players or remove players to create vision. You may also want to move the midfielders up to half field and have your goalie re-clear the ball back up to the midfielders at the midfield line. This will get your goalie involved with clearing back up the field.