Lacrosse Chest Protection FAQs
Points of Emphasis
- Beginning in 2021, the use of goalie chest protectors that meet the new NOCSAE performance standard will be mandatory in the US Lacrosse boys’ and girls’ youth rules, the NFHS boys’ and girls’ high school rules, and the NCAA men’s and women’s rules.
- Goalie chest protectors used after January 1, 2021 must be designed for lacrosse and meet the NOCSAE standard, ND200.
- Beginning in 2022, US Lacrosse boys’ field players, NFHS boys’ field players, and NCAA men’s field players must also wear chest protection that meets the NOCSAE ND200 standard.
- The NOCSAE standard is a performance standard, not a design standard.
- Product designs will likely vary from one manufacturer to another.
- Products must contain the NOCSAE logo and SEI certification mark to be legal for play.
- There must be marking on both the packaging and product that states that the product conforms to NOCSAE standard ND200.
What is NOCSAE ND200?
NOCSAE ND200 is the first-ever performance standard for chest protection. Product compliance with ND200 reduces impact forces and thus the risk of commotio cordis (cardiac arrest due to a blow to the heart area).
Who is most at risk for sustaining a commotio cordis injury?
Players at any age and gender are at risk for this injury, but based on statistics, younger male athletes have a higher incidence of sustaining this injury.
When must goalies begin using chest protection that meet the NOCSAE standard?
Beginning in 2021, all chest protectors (youth, high school, collegiate, and post-collegiate) must meet the new performance standard. US Lacrosse encourages players of all ages to begin using chest protectors that meet the NOCSAE standard as soon as possible. The delayed implementation in the rules allows for product development by equipment manufacturers.
What are the different product options for goalies?
Goalie chest protectors that meet the performance standard have begun to emerge in the marketplace in 2019, with more products scheduled for release shortly. Product designs will vary from one manufacturer to another, but all must meet the NOCSAE ND200 standard.
When must boys’ & men’s field players have pads that meet the NOCSAE ND200 standard?
Beginning in 2022, all field players in the boys’/men’s game must have shoulder pads or protectors that meet the NOCSAE performance standard. Some manufacturers have already begun to introduce chest protection for boys’ field players into the marketplace. US Lacrosse encourages field players of all ages to begin using protection as soon as they can, rather than waiting for the 2022 mandate.
How do I know that the chest protector I buy meets the NOCSAE standard?
All products that meet the NOCSAE standard, ND200, must be certified by the independent Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) and include the NOCSAE Lacrosse label shown below. Consumers are also encouraged to check the SEI website (https://www.seinet.org/search.htm) under Program: Chest Protectors (Lacrosse) to verify that the specific brand is listed as approved.