The Board of US Lacrosse established the Sports Science & Safety Committee to function as an advisory group to the leadership and to the various committees of US Lacrosse, as well as to serve as a source of lacrosse sport safety education for the entire lacrosse community.
Formed in 1999, the US Lacrosse Sports Science and Safety Committee takes a closer look at injury prevention and sports medicine issues involved with the game of lacrosse. Utilizing existing sports medicine literature and new research initiatives, the committee seeks to grow the body of lacrosse safety knowledge in order to objectively advise US Lacrosse and the lacrosse community on factors that may enhance the safety and quality of experience in the sport of lacrosse at all levels.
The Sports Science & Safety Committee is divided into four subcommittees:
- Player Development and National Teams
- Injury Surveillance and Prevention
Experts on the committee are:
- Neuropsychology and Neurology: Ruben Echemendia, PhD (State College, Pa.)
- Nutrition and Sports Performance: Jackie Berning, PhD (Colorado Springs, Colo.); Dave Klossner, PhD (Laurel, Md.); Matt Nein, NSCA (Salisbury, Md.)
- Orthopaedics and Cardiology: Richard Hinton, MD (Baltimore, Md.); Karen Sutton, MD (Fairfield, Conn.); Mark Link, MD (Houston, Texas)
- Pediatrics: Paige Perriello, MD (Charlottesville, Va.)
- Psychology: Richard Ginsburg, PhD (Boston, Mass.)
- Sports Medicine: Margot Putukian, MD (chair) (Princeton, N.J.); Nina Walker, ATC (Chapel Hill, N.C.); Eugene Hong, MD (Newtown Square, Pa.); David Byrnes, ATC (Yorktown, N.Y.)
- Sports Research and Epidemiology: Andy Lincoln, ScD (Annapolis, Md.); Shane Caswell, PhD (Fairfax, Va.)