Sliding & Double Teaming
Basic, can be progressed
This objective of this game is to help teach defensive shift, sliding, movement and communication to support teammates and deploying double teams when appropriate in a constraints-based manner. The game can also be used to teach breaking slide patterns and avoiding or breaking double teams.
Description of Drill-Execution
- X and O face each other in a circle
- O moves the ball around the outside of the circle (Can skip pass)
- Focusing on defensive movement - X shifts and communicates to teammates.
- See ball and player at all times while defending the middle
- Move and communicate while the ball is in the air
- Use a gym ball. Progress to sticks and balls after communication and shifts are understood
- Rotate offense and defense
- Odd number of players
- Double the ball at all times
- Allow skip passing
- Goalies–in middle of circle communicating to teammates
The game can be played with or without sticks. Try using a mini soccer ball or football to focus on movement and positioning without the worry of dropping passes.
Introduce space and time constraints to progress or regress the game and to control the pace of the learning. Keep score and/or play to a desired number to promote competition.