Clear & Defend the Fast Break
Basic, can be progressed
This objective of this game is to help teach clearing and defending the fast break in a constraints- based game.
Description of Drill-Execution
- 4 players plus a goalie (for each team) start behind GLE
- Each team clears the ball to the restraining line
- Every player has to receive a pass
- First team that reaches the restraining line turns and goes to goal
- Other team drops the ball and immediately plays defense (defend the break)
- Goalie whose team is not on defense, drops out
- Adjust number of players as needed
The game can be played with or without sticks. Try using a mini soccer ball or football to focus on movement and positioning without the worry of dropping passes.
Introduce space and time constraints to progress or regress the game and to control the pace of the learning. Keep score and/or play to a desired number to promote competition.