Offense, Defense, Midfield
This drill emphasizes staying balanced when checking and the importance of a quick, check and release with no backswing. Players are encouraged to be patient and wait for the right opportunity to check, which develops control and good decision-making.
Description of Drill-Execution
1. Players will partner up and face each other, with one of the players having a ball in her stick.
2. The player with the ball will hold her stick out in front of her and parallel to the ground, with her top hand slid about half-way down the stick. The “ball-carrier” will cradle from side to side trying to avoid the defenders check. She wants to bait the defender checking and then wants to move her stick quickly out of the way.
3. The defender is timing the ball-carrier’s cradle and patiently waits to check. She has her top hand slid about two-thirds of the way down the stick and her feet are off-set for balance. When she does check, she snaps her stick down and back immediately, aiming for the corner of the ball-carrier’s stick.
Points of Emphasis:
- Checks use mostly the wrist and some arms.
- Stay balanced and in good defensive position.
- Avoid lunging, back swinging, and following through to the ground.
- Be patient and time the check