Offense, Defense, Midfield
To work on playing body defense and redirecting an attacker to an area on the field where you want her to go.
Description of Drill-Execution
Set up 4 cones about 5 to 10 yards apart in a box. The front of the box represents the goal. Start the person on offense with the ball at one cone, and the defender on defense at a different cone. On the coaches whistle the defender tries to force the attacker out one side of the box or the back of the box. The attacker tries to cross the goal line. Make all players play attack and defense.
- Defense Positioning
- 1v1, 2v1, 1v2
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
- Attacker has to get to one cone, defender must keep them from getting to that same cone.
- Attacker has to get to one side.
- Attacker has to get to two sides - larger area for defender to cover.
- Defender starts on opposite side of which way the attacker wants to go.
- Add 2nd defender to practice doubles.