Cutting, Motion Offense
Basic, can be progressed
This objective of this game is to help teach the basics of motion offense, incorporating cutting and finding open space in a constraints-based game.
Description of Drill-Execution
- 4 cones
- 3 players
- Pass adjacent (X1 to X2) and cut through the middle to the open cone
- Off ball player (X3) moves to support the ball while the ball is in the air
- Continue pattern in any direction
- Sticks always on the outside of the box
- Everyone moves on the pass!
- Add a 4th player – all players adjust and move (like an off ball pick)
- Add 2 or 3 defenders – defenders must cover ball and strong side or both adjacents
The game can be played with or without sticks. Try using a mini soccer ball or football to focus on movement and positioning without the worry of dropping passes.
Introduce space and time constraints to progress or regress the game and to control the pace of the learning. Keep score and/or play to a desired number to promote competition.
X1 passes to X2 and cuts through the middle
X3 and X4 have to adjust
All cones have to be covered before the next pass is made
Can pass to cutter. Everyone adjusts
X1 passes to X2 and sets a pick for X4.
X3 moves to support the ball
X1 can pass to X4 coming off of pick or X3
All cones must contain an offensive player before the next pass is made
Continue pattern and adjust to cover all cones/support teammates
Attackers pass, cut, replace around the outside of the box
After 4 completed passes, one defender enters the box
After 4 more passes, another defender enters the box
Keep adding defenders after 4 passes
Attack can go to goal (cone in center) after 3 defenders have entered the box