Sliding & Crashing
Basic, can be progressed
This objective of this game is to help teach defensive shift, sliding, movement and communication to support teammates and deploying double teams when appropriate in a constraints-based manner. The game can also be used to teach breaking slide patterns and avoiding or breaking double teams.
Description of Drill-Execution
- 4 attackers at each cone outside the box
- 4 defenders at each cone inside the box
- Attackers pass the ball around the outside of the cones. They must stay within 5 yards of the
- Defenders communicate as ball moves
- Attack may drive to cone after 4 passes. Score when get to cone by driving only.
- Defenders crash and shift to prevent attack from getting to cone
- No skip passing, no cutting, no defending the pass
- Focuses on the crash, defensive communication and reset
- Core Principles:
- Shift as ball moves
- See ball, see player
- Move and communicate while ball is in the air o Crash on drive
- Once over, reset to closest attacker
- Allow skip passing and cutting
- Remove a defender
- 4v3 Adjacents must be covered.
- Adjust box size
- Add sticks and balls
- Around goal cage
- Goalies–in middle on cone communicating to teammates
The game can be played with or without sticks. Try using a mini soccer ball or football to focus on movement and positioning without the worry of dropping passes.