This drill is excellent for teaching players to time off ball movement, get open, and to get your hands free on a dodge that starts the play. You want your midfielders to learn to follow the dodge and allow for a "One More" pass to attack the weak side of the defense after they slide to defend the dodge from the girl up top.
Description of Drill-Execution
- X1 starts the drill by dodging from the point and bouncing out wide. The player can choose to throw the ball back across body to X3 or also roll back if you are simulating a double team from the defense.
- X1 will move the ball to X3, who has trailed the dodge and waiting right inside the 8m.
- X3 will then move the ball quickly to X2 on the crease area.
- X2 needs to make a move across crease and then return to pop off the crease to receive the “One More” pass from X3 and then finish the shot.
- X1 then moves to the X2 position, X2 moves to the back for the X3 line, and X3 moves to the X1 line.
- Off Ball Offense
- Ball Movement (Catching and Throwing)
- Fast Break
Variations/Progression/Increased difficulty (As your players improve their skills incorporate the following…)
Add defenders at each line and have them play loose defense on the play. You can also add a 4th player to the side of X1 that will be an additional person to move off ball, or have their defender double the dodge from X1 and force a solid roll back.