The goal of this program is to develop trainers, by utilizing online resources emphasizing proper mechanics, correct rule interpretation, and showcasing different methods of engaging learners; while providing trainers with resources to enhance their training classes. As such, Certified Trainers will be trained to communicate and work with officials at all levels of play, and will be tasked with reporting training data to US Lacrosse.
Thank you for your interest in the US Lacrosse Certification Programs. The application period for 2019 is now open and will remain open until January 31, 2019.
Please send any questions on the Certified Observer or Certified Trainer programs to [email protected].
Who Can Apply?
Interested applicants should be:
- An official with at least three years of officiating experience at the high school level in their area
- Past experience assisting in training classes is a plus, but not required
How Will US Lacrosse Evaluate the Applications?
Applications are evaluated by US Lacrosse Officials Development State and Region Coordinators as well as US Lacrosse staff and based on the following criteria:
- Quality of the application:
- All fields are complete.
- Questions are clearly answered.
- Includes two recommendations from local area officials
There are eight requirements for new certified trainers. Requirements 1-4 must be completed in order. Requirements 5-8 may be completed in any order.
- Apply using the links on this page
- Have a current US Lacrosse Membership with Official Participation.
- Register into the Certified Trainer program and pay the $50 one-time registration fee.
- Initiate a background check through US Lacrosse's background check provider NCSI.
- Complete the US Lacrosse Boy's or Girls Rules Online course at learning.uslacrosse.org.
- Complete the US Lacrosse Certified Trainer Online Course (link provided after registering).
- Participate in the annual Certified Trainer Webinar (link provided after registering).
- Pass the upcoming season's rules tests (NFHS or Collegiate + USL Youth) with an 85% or better on the learning.uslacrosse.org.
Annual Recertification Requirements
Trainers completing all of the requirements are automatically enrolled in the Certified Trainer Recertification Program for the following season at no cost to the trainer. Recertification requirements are:
- Maintain a US Lacrosse Membership with Official Participation.
- Maintain a current background check through US Lacrosse’s background check provider NCSI.
- Participate in the annual Certified Trainer Webinar (live or recorded).
- Pass the upcoming season's rules tests (NFHS or Collegiate + USL Youth) with a 85% or better on the learning.uslacrosse.org.
Benefits to Certification
Upon completion of all requirements trainers are granted access to the CTO Resource Library. A one-stop shop where you can download:
- Training PowerPoint Presentations.
- Electronic versions of Manuals and Trainer Guides.
- Penalty videos.
- Mechanics videos.
The CTO Resource Library also has an online store where you can buy hard copies of training materials, US Lacrosse patches, evaluation form packets, and more all at a bigger discount than the average US Lacrosse Official Member.
Certified Trainers also receive a 25% discount code to use on US Lacrosse apparel at shop.uslacrosse.org once all of the requirements are complete. The $50 one-time registration fee helps offset the cost of developing and updating training materials each year as well as apparel orders.