Physical Education Lacrosse
Physical education lacrosse, also known as soft-stick lacrosse, is a co-ed version of lacrosse that utilizes modified equipment and rules, and is designed for youth to achieve quick success executing the basics skills of lacrosse (cradling, scooping, passing, catching and shooting). The rules of soft-stick lacrosse and the modified equipment also make it a version of the sport that does not require protective equipment to learn and enjoy.
US Lacrosse resources for soft-stick lacrosse:
- Apply for a Soft-Stick Equipment Grant
- Download the PE Curriculum Guide and access instructional videos all online for free!
The US Lacrosse Soft-Stick Equipment Grant provides a set of equipment to individual schools or community-based organizations that want to start a soft lacrosse program. The equipment grant includes 30 soft lacrosse sticks, 30 soft lacrosse balls, a hardcopy of the Physical Education Curriculum plus Reproducible Packet, and Teaching Soft-Stick Lacrosse DVD. Scroll down the page to view the curriculum and videos online.
The application process is now closed and will open again in September 2018 (exact date TBD). We strongly recommend filling out the Online Interest Form above to be placed on the Soft Stick Program's distribution list. Those on the list receive the latest information about the program directly from US Lacrosse.
Teacher-friendly, easy-to-use co-ed curriculum designed for use with soft-lacrosse equipment in a safe, non-contact version the game. The curriculum provides age specific units plans, lesson plans, drills, games, educational handouts, cross-curricular activities and more. Aligns with national standards and was developed in partnership with the National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE).
The comprehensive teacher’s manual contains three 10-day units for Elementary (grades 4-6), Middle School (grades 6-8) and High School (grades 9-12) students. All three grade levels are included in the manual so that teachers may customize and utilize resources from the entire curriculum to meet the unique needs of their students. Curriculum also includes a packet of reproducible masters for each unit.
Each unit includes:
- Cognitive, psychomotor, and affective objectives
- Unit overview chart with National Standards identified
- 10 comprehensive lesson plans, including teaching cues
- Skill diagrams and illustrations
- Modified rules for safe play at all levels
- Reproducible handouts for students
- Cross-curricular connections and recommended resources for enhancing the unit
- Drills, games, assessment charts, quizzes, study guides and more
The US Lacrosse Teaching Soft-Stick Lacrosse DVD provides a complete video-based instructional workshop on teaching and playing soft lacrosse. Video clips presented in the DVD are on the US Lacrosse YouTube Channel, which anyone can access, at any time, for free.
By watching the videos, viewers will learn:
- The origins of lacrosse and the variations of the game
- The basic skills of lacrosse
- How to teach these skills to players
- Fun drills and activities
- Rules and execution of soft lacrosse game play
Please contact [email protected]org